Question: What are some of the reasons women choose adoption over parenting or abortion?
Answer: There are many reasons women choose adoption over parenting or abortion. Lifetime has worked with prospective birth mothers from the age of 11 all the way up to 49 years old! Here are a few of the reasons for choosing adoption we’ve heard from them:
- I’m not ready to be a mother just yet
- I’m not mentally or physically able to parent a child.
- I don’t have support from the baby’s father.
- I want my child to be raised in a stable 2 parent family.
- My home life is shaky and unstable.
- I have college plans and it wouldn’t be fair to the child or myself if I tried to parent now.
- I want more for my child with a solid future and opportunities that adoption will bring that I do not have in my life.
- I have lost my other children to Child Protective Services and am working to get them back. Another child might hurt my chances to get my other children back.
- I really can’t afford another child.
- My lifestyle is too unsettled. I like to be free to do what I want to do at my age.
- I was raped and want something positive to come out of this situation.
Whatever the reason is for a woman to consider adoption today, they are not alone. Every day, women face the hard decision on what to do with an unplanned pregnancy. Also, women considering adoption may have already been parenting a child, or her parents or friends may have been watching her child for her.
The good news about choosing adoption is that women can decide if they want to play an active role in their adoption process. A birth mother has lots of choices, like selecting the adoptive parents personally, meeting them, creating an adoption plan she wants, and deciding on future contact with the adoptive family. In having all these choices, she has more control over her situation. This can cause her to feel better about her decision of adoption.
Women in most states can get help with expenses during their pregnancy, including living expenses, medical costs, food and clothing. Call Lifetime Adoption at 1-800-923-6784 to find out what your state allows and how to start the process. It doesn’t matter if you’re early in your pregnancy, or if your baby’s already been born. There are pre-approved adoptive families hoping to adopt children of all ages, races, and even medically fragile or drug exposed babies. You can speak to an adoption coordinator who is non-judgmental and experienced in helping other women facing what you are today. Call 7 days a week anytime at 1-800-923-6784 or live chat on our website.