Please keep these items in mind with your pregnancy, whether it is planned or a surprise:
1. Eat Healthy --- You aren't just eating for two, your body is quite literally growing another person. Remember the old saying "garbage in, garbage out"? Keep it in mind as you do your grocery shopping and food preparation. These are the building blocks for your baby.
2. See a Doctor --- Any pregnant woman will find benefit in visiting a doctor during her pregnancy. He/She can help you handle with unpleasant symptoms, test both you and the baby to prevent any problems, and discuss your delivery options with you. It will make your delivery much smoother and less scary.
3. Evaluate Your Finances --- Plan now what you will do after baby arrives. If you are low income, look into WIC in your area. Make a financial plan for diapers, formula, supplies, and more so you know what to expect after the baby is born. Especially if this is your first baby, you may find yourself overwhelmed with the cost.
4. Learn About Your Insurance or Sign Up for Medi-caid --- If you have private insurance, investigate your coverage including any co-pays. If you do not, sign up for medi-caid, available to most pregnant women nationwide. Again, knowing what to expect will make the process smoother.
5. Prepare Your Heart -- If you will be raising this child, prepare your emotional health to welcome a new person into your world. If you are choosing another option for this baby, such as adoption, consider counseling, or just time spent in reflection, speaking to your unborn baby about your decision. Sometimes just talking out loud helps prepare us for the situation that lies ahead.