Because you might go into labor before your due date, it's smart to have everything packed up and ready to go when you're 8 months pregnant. Here's our hospital packing list:
For during your labor
- Your driver's license or ID
- Your insurance/Medicaid card
- Any hospital paperwork
- Adoption professional’s phone number and adoptive family’s phone number
- Your birth plan (if you created one)
- Your contacts and glasses. You may end up preferring one over the other (some women have shared that they didn’t want to have to deal with their contacts).
- A few nightgowns, a bathrobe, slippers, and socks. (Your hospital will provide gowns and socks for you to use, but you might prefer to wear your own.) So that your blood pressure can easily be checked, your nightgown should be either sleeveless or have short, loose sleeves.
- Whatever will help you calm down, such as your own pillow, music and something to play it on, or a photo of someone or something you love.
For after you deliver
- A nightgown, if you prefer to wear your own
- Your cell phone and charger
- Snacks! After many hours of labor, you’ll probably be hungry, and you may not want to eat just hospital food. Good snacks to pack are crackers, apples, bananas, dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, or trail mix.
- Personal care things, like a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, brush, comb, hair tie, and makeup. (Your hospital will probably provide soap, shampoo, and lotion, but you might rather use your own.)
- A few pairs of maternity underwear and some maxi pads
- A roomy and comfy outfit to go home in (you'll probably still look a few months pregnant) and some comfy shoes such as flip flops.
Feel free to pin this list to your Pinterest, print it out, or save it to your Internet favorites to have handy!