If you were a healthy eater before you become pregnant, you probably just need to make a few adjustments. Pregnant women don't need any extra calories in their first trimiester. But once you enter your second trimester, it's recommended that you eat 340 more calories a day, and that number goes up to 450 more calories a day in your third trimester. (Source: American Dietetic Association (ADA). The ADA suggests that pregnant women eat a total of 2,500-2,700 calories daily.
So how do you know what you can eat? What's off limits? We've made a couple of handy lists for you below.
Pregnant women need more vitamins, minerals and nutrients than pre-pregnancy. To get enough of the healthy stuff, make sure to take a pre-natal vitamin daily. If it makes you feel sick, take it with food. Or, you could split the pre-natal pill in half and take half with lunch, then half with dinner.
Foods you can eat:
- Up to 12 ounces per week of fish & shellfish that are low in mercury. This includes: salmon, tilapia, shrimp, and canned tuna.
- Keep drinking milk...if you're allergic or feel bloated, try drinking smaller amounts of milk with meals, or buy lactose-free milk, hard cheeses, or yogurt.
- Up to 2 cups of coffee, or 5 cups of black tea each day (but no more)
- If you were a vegetarian before you got pregnant, make sure to keep eating eggs, milk, and milk products. If you're a vegan, ask your doctor for their suggestions.
Foods to steer clear of:
(these ones aren't safe for your growing baby)
- Raw/undercooked foods (sushi, fish, eggs)
- Unpasteurized juices or raw milk
- Soft cheeses, like Brie, feta, queso blanco or queso fesco. You want to look at the label and make sure it says "made with pasteurized milk."
- Fish with high levels of mercury, like king mackerel, tilefish, shark, and swordfish.
- Alfalfa sprouts and other raw sprouts
- Beer, wine, and other alcoholic drinks
If the info here helped you, we suggest you sign up for our pregnancy newsletter. You can say what month in pregnancy you're in, so the newsletter is customized especially for you! Sign up by clicking on the image below: