Adoptive Families Blog

Your Child's Social Security Number

Posted by Lifetime Adoption on June 16, 2015

ssnMardie Caldwell, author of “Adoption: Your Step-by-Step Guide” speaks about a topic that can sometimes be overlooked during the busy adoption process. She speaks about how and when you should get your child's social security number.

"For your child to qualify as a dependent or to recieve adoption benefits or the earned income and other tax credits, you must provide the IRS with the child's social security number. Getting this number for your adopted child is the samw as getting it for a biological child. While you can get the number before the adoption is completed, you may want to wait. Then you can apply for the number with your names as the parents and with your child's new name. You will use Forn SS-5. For a foreign-born adoptee, you will need to provide evidence of age, identity, citizenship or alien status.

For complete instructions about the acquiring a social security number, go to The forms you need are available for download at If you want to claim your child for tax purposes while the adoption is pending, visit and download Form W-7A, which is an application for a taxpayer indetification number for pending adoptions."

If you have felt a calling to adopt a baby, Lifetime Adoption can answer all of your questions and help you through the process of successful adoption. Please visit our free application.

New Call-to-action

Topics: Adoption, social security number