Most infant adoptions in the United States are now open or semi-open adoptions. This view of adoption is turning out to be wonderful for both the birth parents and the adoptive parents .In addition, the adopted child benefits in numerous ways. The transparency of the arrangement enables him/her to thrive. Open adoption enhances self-esteem and creates a greater sense of purpose in the world.
There is no right or wrong way to have an open adoption. The adoptive parents and birth parents need to meet on common ground and share a united vision. It is an authentic and gratifying way to parent. Here some ideas to promote your open adoption:
- Exchange letters and photos on an annual basis. When the child is older, send copies of report cards and school work.
- Email, instant message, or text message with the birth mother.
- Create a website, blog or social networking account online for the birth mother to view.
- Connect on occasion through phone calls or Skype.
- Coordinate annual visits to an amusement park, museum or regional park.
Open adoption can be a wonderful experience for all involved if given the chance to put in place, and implement for the betterment of everyone, especially the child. For more information on open adoption and the benefits, visit OpenAdoption.com.