More than ever, children are growing up with dairy and wheat/gluten allergies. Scientists have not been able to pinpoint the root cause for this rise in diagnosed cases. Whatever the reason, you may want to adjust your lifestyle to accommodate your child’s allergies and sensitivities. Here is a delicious and easy meal to whip up on a frosty autumn night. The whole family will be sure to ask for seconds:
Cream of Mushroom and Potato Soup
Two spears celery, diced
One small white or yellow onion, diced
1 ½ cups sliced button or brown mushrooms
One large russet potato, peeled and cubed
3 tablespoons coconut or vegetable oil
3 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread
4 cups chicken broth
One cup almond, coconut or flax milk
Spices to taste (garlic powder, salt pepper, seasoning salt, cayenne powder)
3 tablespoons tapioca starch or rice flour
- 1. Sautee celery and onion in oil until translucent and lightly browned.
- 2. Slowly stir in starch to create a roux and put in crock pot.
- 3. Add potato, butter spread, broth, and spices to crock pot.
- 4. Stir all ingredients well and set temperature on high.
- 5. Put base of soup together in the morning and forget about it.
- 6. Around an hour before dinner, lightly mash soup base or use hand held blender.
- 7. Stir in “milk” and mushrooms.
- 8. If soup is too thin, take a few tablespoons of hot broth out of the pot and add more starch to it to create a thickening agent. Slowly stir back in the soup.
- Slice three small heads of endive
- Dice one red and one green apple
- ¼ cup minced white onion
- 1 cup sliced seedless grapes
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped watercress
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- Tarragon , salt , pepper, and garlic powder to taste
Toss all ingredients together and blend well.
Serve soup and salad with gluten free bread. Here are some companies that provide mail order service: