If you grew up any time before the eighties, you will remember Jell-O salad. It seemed that every Grandmother served it on special occasions. Some were made with lime gelatin and some were made with cottage cheese. Still others had walnuts and bananas folded in.
My grandmother made a wonderful cranberry salad that is still a hit around our family’s table. It can be made a day ahead and served on Thanksgiving and other special holidays. Cranberry salad is a wonderful alternative to serving cranberry sauce and the kids love the mini marshmallows!
- 2 pkgs. Strawberry Jell-O
- 2 cups hot water
- One 16 ounce can of whole cranberry sauce
- One 13 ½ oz. can of crushed pineapple
- ½ bag of mini marshmallows
- ½ cup crushed, roasted and salted pistachios
- 8 oz. of cream cheese
- One tub of Cool Whip
- Dissolve Jell-O in hot water and let cool for five minutes.
- Drain pineapple and set juice aside.
- Mix nuts, pineapple, cranberry and marshmallows into gelatin.
- Chill in fridge for ten minutes (in mold or casserole dish).
- Beat together cream cheese and pineapple juice. Spread evenly over salad.
- It can be chilled overnight and served with a dollop of Cool Whip.
From all of your Lifetime Adoption Family, we wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving. This is a time of joyous anticipation and excitement. If you are not yet an adoptive parent, we are hopeful that your dreams will soon be fulfilled. May your day be abundant with smiles , hugs and maybe even a scoop of cranberry salad!