The adoption process can be expensive. By the time you have paid the attorney fees, home study costs, the adoption facilitation fees, and possibly Birth Mother expenses, the total can reach close to $25,000 dollars! You might be experiencing major sticker shock after looking into adoption. If you make payments on a newer car, then you can afford to adopt! A car will last 10 to 15 years, but a family is for a lifetime!
Todd and Sara hoped to adopt a newborn infant, but their monthly income just covered their monthly expenses. The young couple decided to sit down and look closely at their expenditures. Todd realized that his big SUV was guzzling hundreds of dollars of extra gas every month. The payments and insurance on the car were huge! They sold the car and Todd began riding his bike to work. His health and mood improved.
Todd and Sara began putting away their savings in a “baby” account. They also, went out to dinner less and hiked more. They chose to skip their annual Hawaiian vacation and went camping instead. Within six months, they had saved enough to see their adoption dream come true!
Here are some cost saving strategies to help you save for your adoption:
- Drive a small, older car. It is cheaper and the insurance is much less.
- Fill up your gas tank in the morning. Colder air creates denser gasoline. If you wait until afternoon, the heat will expand the gas and your gallon of gas will actually be less.
- Eliminate cable or Direct TV for one year. Check out DVDs for free from the library or from Redbox for only one dollar.
- Don’t drink bottles water! Water from the tap is free.
- Shop for clothes at second hand shops and hospice stores. You will save more than 60 percent on your clothes budget.
- Make your own coffee at home. It ought to cost you ten cents to make versus four dollars at those gourmet shops.
- Go camping instead of staying at expensive hotels.
- Brush and floss your teeth twice a day. Also, wash your hands. These simple habits will cut down on illness. Each trip to the doctor costs me forty dollars!
- Refinance your home to a lower rate. The current rates for a 30 year fixed are hovering around 3.82 percent. If your current rate is 6 percent on a 150,000 loan, you could save hundreds each month!
- Plant a garden and barter with friends.
I wish you the best on your quest to finance your adoption! It can be done with just a little forethought and sacrifice. In these crazy financial times, you need to be creative and determined to see your goal through to the end!