With Mother’s Day just around the corner, I want to give a gift to my daughter’s birth mother to honor her and the choice she made. Do you think it’s appropriate to send a card or gift?
It’s normal for adoptive mothers to remember and think about their child’s birth mother often, especially around Mother’s Day. The truth is, without her choice, we wouldn’t be mommies (or daddies!)
Each year, the day before Mother’s Day is set aside as “Birth Mother’s Day.” This is a day when adoptive parents (and everyone else!) can remember, celebrate, and honor mothers who have made the loving (yet tough) decision to make an adoption plan for their child.
But finding a card isn’t easy; there’s no section of “Birth Mother’s Day” cards at the stores. And, many birth mothers don’t know about Birth Mother’s Day so you may feel awkward sending her a card.
I suggest that you find an individualized and special way to celebrate her. One way to do this is to create a custom Birth Mother’s Day card online. Snapfish, Shutterfly, or Tiny Prints may be good resources for creating a Birth Mother's Day card. Or, you could send her a ‘Thinking of You’ type card to let her know you are remembering her.
A gift for your birth mother is always appreciated, too! Here are 10 creative birth mother day gift ideas:
- Framed photo of her son/daughter
- A photo gift, such a travel coffee mug with photos on it
- A gift basket, filled with basics, treats, and gift cards.
- An adoption shadow box frame, filled with photos and mementos
- Necklace with a locket that has a special inscription or a photo of her child inside
- Adoption jewelry
- Credits at a photo website, such as Snapfish or Shutterfly. That way, she can order a photo gift, DVD, and/or whichever photos she likes.
- A sweet hand print or foot print in clay, or some artwork created by her child
- Gift certificate for a pampering service such as a massage or facial
What have you given your birth mother? Please share your birth mother gift ideas by leaving a comment below!
You can learn more about Birth Mother’s Day here: Remember Where It All Began…National Birth Mother’s Day.