Question: I just found out I'm pregnant, and I'm freaking out about what I should do. I'm don't think I could go through with abortion, and I don't know how I'd make parenting work. So I'm wondering what are some common reasons that women choose adoption?
Answer: There are tons of reasons women choose adoption instead of parenting or abortion. For whatever reason, right now they're not ready to parent.
Lifetime has helped birth mothers of all ages, from 11 to 49! Here are a just a few of their reasons for choosing adoption:
- Not physically (or mentally) able to parent
- No support from baby's father/he disappeared
- Not ready to be a mom
- Wish for her child to grow up with a stable, two-parent family
- Life situation is unstable and unsettled
- In college and feel it's not fair to her child to parent right now
- Desire to give her child more opportunities and a solid future
- Lost another child to Child Protective Services (CPS) and another baby may hurt her chances to get her child back.
- Can't afford another child.
- Pregnancy is the result of rape and she wants something positive to come out of this situation.
Every day, women across the U.S. face the difficult choice about what to do with an unplanned pregnancy. So, whatever your reason is for considering adoption, know that you're not alone.
Modern adoption comes with many benefits to a birth mother. You have the power and the right to play an active role in the adoption process. Your many choices include picking your baby's adoptive parents & meeting them, choosing how things will go at the hospital, deciding how much future contact you'd like with the adoptive family. By having all those choices, you have control over how your adoption plan goes. Many women have shared with us that having a say in their adoption plan helped them feel more positive about their decision.
In most states, birth mothers can get help with expenses during their pregnancy, such as medical fees, living expenses, food, and clothing. To find out what your state allows, give us a call at 1-800-923-6784. Lifetime has safe, loving, pre-approved adoptive families hoping to adopt. When you call us, you're able to speak with a non-judgmental adoption coordinator who is experienced in helping women facing what you are right now.